…this humble scribe was introduced into the manliest of manly institutions for the purpose of becoming a mean, green, fighting machine. Be durned if’n the time don’t fly. 38 years gone by, and a world of experience to show for it. Remembering a cute poster floating about Facebook the last couple of days:
“When I was a kid, I wanted to be older. This sh!t is not what I expected…”
Can’t say I disagree. 😉
- From the Halls of Montezuma,
- To the shores of Tripoli;
- We fight our country’s battles
- In the air, on land, and sea;
- First to fight for right and freedom
- And to keep our honor clean:
- We are proud to claim the title
- Of United States Marine.
- Our flag’s unfurled to every breeze
- From dawn to setting sun;
- We have fought in every clime and place
- Where we could take a gun;
- In the snow of far-off Northern lands
- And in sunny tropic scenes;
- You will find us always on the job
- The United States Marines.
- Here’s health to you and to our Corps
- Which we are proud to serve;
- In many a strife we’ve fought for life
- And never lost our nerve;
- If the Army and the Navy
- Ever look on Heaven’s scenes;
- They will find the streets are guarded
- By United States Marines.
- Again in 1941, we sailed a north’ard course
- and found beneath the midnight sun, the Viking and the Norse.
- The Iceland girls were slim and fair, and fair the Iceland scenes,
- and the Army found in landing there, the United States Marines.