Interesting Neighbor

I have waved to Jerry for years – was surprised to learn he is 90 years old – doesn’t look or act like it.

His daughter’s old BMW was on the street and someone hit it during the night – left with no note.

So I had to tell him about the 10% Rule, as taught to me by a Marine LT 43 years ago at the Oakland Reception Station. Now I’ll have you know that the LT wasn’t directing this at me but at our motley civilian group as a whole.

For those of you unaware of the 10% Rule it is simple. For any given population sample, 10% will fark it up for the other 90%. 

And in the intervening years, in my informal observations it seems to be a constant.

So anyway, upon hearing about the 10% rule as told to me by the Marine LT Jerry asked me if I was in the Corps.

Had to tell him no, Army,  but at the height of Vietnam draftees would count off by 2’s – half for the Marines; half for the Army. I guess that is why the LT was there.

Jerry said he was in the Corps during the close of WW2, and what a story he had.

His unit was deployed to Okinawa, but at the last minute he was assigned sea duty on the Missouri.

He was part of the honor guard and 40′ from MacArthur and Wainwright and the Japanese delegates during the surrender ceremony.

 He also  learned that his CO from his old unit, all of 27 years old with a wife and child and considered the “old man” as is known in combat units, was killed by friendly fire from the Missouri during the invasion.

Leave a comment

Filed under Uncategorized

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s